Saturday, October 2, 2010

Adagio for Strings

I love this piece by Samuel Barber.  I love it.  It moves me to tears.  It helps me reflect.  It allows me to be sad.  It reiterates that in life and in music - dissonance always resolves!  Your daddy played this for me at your birth.  It was perfect.  I secretly feel selfish because I want this piece to be just mine.  I don't want to share it with dead presidents and royals or hollywood movies and cliche tv moments.  I don't want to share it with anyone else, knowing full well that they love it just like I do.  You see, it was composed just for me.  And, I want to give it to you, so that when you listen to it you can make it your own.  You and I sat in the audience of the community band during a rehearsal one day!  You were mesmerized by every movement and every sound.  Your little fingers would move ever so slightly - as if you were imitating a musicians' hand movements in play.  Your jovial bounce was surprisingly on beat!  I'll admit - I got teary eyed watching your love of music cultivate.  That little seed has been planted.  Music is a universal language and it soothes the soul and it does every cheesy thing that people claim it does.  I truly love it!
-Mamá        

          

No comments:

Post a Comment